Saturday, January 2, 2010

2010: New Year, New Goals

A year ago, my cop buddy challenged me to run 5 miles with him. He's insane. He runs all the time and practically lives at the gym. I told him there was no way, but I could probably do 3. I've never been a runner in my life. I tried running track when I was in junior high...that lasted all of two meets before I decided that running wasn't for me. I never could understand how someone would find it fun to run. I mean, come on. How could it be any fun to go out and run 3 miles? It takes forever and would be really boring. How wrong I was. On July 18, 2009, I ran my first 5K and finished. My sister in law ran with me and we ran the whole way. And you know what? It felt great!

As 2009 came to a close, I decided that I wanted to see what I was really made of. I'm a teacher and very determined. When I get something in my head, it takes a near hurricane to keep me from it. I don't like failing, so this has made me a very determined person. I've decided my goal for 2010 isn't going to just be 3 miles; I'm going to be able to run a half-marathon by the end of the year. This is going to take a lot of work and a lot determination. As a teacher, I know my schedule is going to be packed through spring. I am determined to not let this keep me from going to the gym and getting a run in. 10 miles a week is my goal. If I run 10 miles a week, that will put me at over 500 miles for the year. WOW!

My first run of the year was tonight. I went to the gym, got on the treadmill, and just ran. 2.25 miles in 27:09. It felt great! I hate running on the treadmill, but with tons of snow on the ground, that's the way it's going to have to be for now. I'm heading into the new year with a positive outlook, a new running goal, and the determination to make it happen. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful!!I know that you can do this. I am hoping to keep hearing of your continued success :) Let us know of your progress. A 10K is in your future too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job!!!! One of my goals this year is to run 3 5K's...I did 2 this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go get em! You have inspired me here!

    ReplyDelete